Credit cards serve as an instant source of money. Overspending with credit cards is one of the most common and dreadful habits that leads to complete modification of financial planning. Taking financial advice or reflecting on your actions can help you during such times. The article presents strategies you can opt to efficiently plan the usage of credit card. The result would be more savings or at least no expenses from your side. Remember to modify the strategies to suit your needs and use a credit card app to further monitor the effects.
Perks of Credit Cards
Let us first begin with the perks you get on opting for a credit card before going over the strategies for optimized usage.
- Convenience: You can use credit cards offline or online, providing assistance in using money without cash. The simplest way is to just swipe it and pay for your purchase without writing cheques. Further, you can also save the details on your digital devices and make payments online in no time.
- Reward Points: Different lenders and cards provide different reward programs. You can gain rewards and points on our purchases like exciting vouchers that can be redeemed on our next purchase, offer us free tickets for travel or free goods or services.
- Extended Warranties: You can have an additional warranty on the product or services purchased using a credit card. Suppose you have purchased an item with a two-year warranty. You can have an additional warranty of up to one year, depending on the card issuer or type of credit card you have. It is advisable to read the terms and conditions to know the features in the best way available on your credit card.
- Emergency Assistance: Several lenders provide medical assistance on your credit card, which can vary according to the issuer and the type of credit card you have. Medical assistance like medical consultation, medical evacuation, medical insurance, and so on are covered by the services of your credit cards. To understand more about the benefits of medical assistance, read the terms and conditions and apply for credit cards with great deals on medical assistance.
- Build Credit History: You can improve your credit history with every purchase by returning the balance on the scheduled term. It strengthens the credit score. Additionally, it allows the lender to know how prompt your expenditures and repayments are. It exhibits your responsible nature in credit card management. The future result is improved credit score and credit history that aids in getting loans at lower interest rates.
- Cashback and Special Discounts: Certain apps or other shopping platforms offer exciting cashback offers or special discounts on using the credit card. Often, banks collaborate with card issuers and offer numerous saving benefits. We usually get cashback or discounts on travel, dining, and entertainment apps. While fueling the vehicle, you can also redeem certain discount offers.
Strategies for Effective Financial Planning
Effective financial planning requires a smart approach. We help you develop one by familiarizing you with the concept:
Set Expenditure Limits
With access to more money, overspending is easy. Setting a limit that is in your hands to pay back before the due date is crucial to initiate saving. Directly cutting expenses is hard, but slow progress helps in setting up a budget without compromising your lifestyle. Carrying balance forward to the next cycle tends to end you up in an endless cycle of heavy interests and debts.
Your rewards vary according to your choice of credit card. Utilize the cashback or reward points within the time limit and meet the lifestyle expenditure. It helps you save money and may also cover credit card fees if used correctly.
Avoid ATM Withdrawal Using Credit Card
ATM withdrawal through a credit card is an option. But its presence does not mean you actually need to use it. Especially when you are focussing on financial planning. The charges on ATM withdrawals are high, and they should be avoided to prevent excess and useless expenditures.
Plan Mode of Expenditure
Financial planning beforehand for the set period aids you in understanding your budget. It assists in choosing the expenditure and, subsequently, their mode. Set aside the type of payments you prefer for different expenditures so that you do not fall short of cash. Otherwise, you can carry a debit card. Further, the rule here is to avoid the requirement or usage of credit cards more than the set limit.
Track the Expenditure
A significant step in financial planning is knowing the type of expenditure. Categorize your spending to get hold of information. Use credit cards and credit card app to access each transaction in one place. It helps you in increasing or cutting down expenses through mindful decisions.
Clear Your Dues
Never rely on paying the minimum amount after utilizing the credit. Your main aim is to clear all the dues so that they do not end up in the next cycle and get charged with interest. The minimum amount is designed to take a specific percentage of payment of your expenditure and then put the remaining in a chargeable balance. Hence, do not spend more than what you can pay and clear the dues as soon as possible to avoid their transfer into the next billing cycle.
Automating Bill payments
The busy schedule often tends to ignore the time of payments, leading you to regret it later. If you do not want automatic debit of dues, set up the reminders. Otherwise, setting up automatic payment on a specific date is always an option. Additionally, if you have multiple credit cards, try to consider changing the due dates to avoid laying all of them on a single day or month’s end.
Plan the Finances
The main idea here is to prioritize the expenses. You are required to set up urgent and non-avoidable expenses like utility bills, loans, rents, emergencies, and other spending. The emergencies are meant to cover up sudden, urgent, and unknown expenses that may arise at any time.
If you spend mindlessly, making the habit of keeping track of expenses will require time. Setting up multiple alerts notifying different cases will help you to begin. The notifications can be of reaching the credit card limit, expenditure over specific limit, transactions and others.
Plan with Family
Financial planning is effective if everyone considers your efforts and participates. You can control your spending, but providing money to your family members should also lie in your limit. Educate and inform them about your decisions with reason and strategy for better cooperation, involvement, and suggestion.
Handle your debts
Regardless of active usage, debts might occur owing to certain circumstances. They can also be voluntary due to lower interest charges compared to payday loans. Reflecting on the financial planning in such a scenario is the best action to begin with. You need to strictly reconsider further purchases until you pay off the debt. If you possess multiple credit cards, you have the option to make new purchases on a credit card with the lowest interest rate.
The worth of credit cards relies solely on the usage style of the individual. Using it mindlessly without financial planning and as a source of income leads you to long-term debts. Strategizing the usage, such as immediate and timely payments, expenditure in credit limit, and the ability to pay, are some of the basic methods to maximize the benefits of credit cards. We repeatedly focus on financial planning to completely take advantage of credit cards.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What are the disadvantages of credit cards?
Ans. The disadvantages of credit cards include the risk of fraud, high-interest charges, foreign transaction fees, and overspending by cardholders.
Q2. What is the Credit Utilization Ratio?
Ans. The ratio refers to the percentage of credit utilized based on the available credit limit. It has the potential to affect your limit score if not considered correctly.
Q3. What is the recommended credit usage limit?
Ans. The credit utilization ratio has a 30% effect on credit score. Hence, sticking to the number is essential and recommended by experts. However, your aim should be 0% credit utilization.
Q4. Can students get a credit card?
Ans. Yes, students can get a credit card under specific conditions. They must provide eligibility documents and have parents as co-signers. Alternatively, credit cards are also allowed in the presence of a Fixed Deposit of a certain amount as set by the bank.
Q5. How to avoid credit card fraud?
Ans. Credit card fraud can be avoided through habits like using security measures, putting information only on secure websites, regular monitoring, and becoming aware of phishing scams.